Lola and Finn's Mum

Lola and Finn's Mum

Tuesday 28 October 2014

Pimp my flapjack... Apple Flapjacks

 
 
It's not like I have a box of apples anywhere or anything - you can decide, if you like, whether that is likely by reading my last blog post about scrumping and apple vodka, but putting grated apple into flapjacks is seriously tasty, especially if they are slightly tart like the apples from the scrumping mission. They act as an acidic foil to all that golden syrup that goes into making flapjacks. And on the subject of golden syrup, and sugar, and butter, I don't think I will ever tire of the gooey unctuousness that flapjacks are, especially if they are crispy and brittle at the edges. I know you can get allsorts of fancy tray bakes now, but this is the number one. Low faff, maximum impact. And somehow, as the nights get longer, it's these type of cakes that I like to turn to. I mean, something light and fluffy is fine and all, but I find myself craving more ballast with a cup of tea when there is a nip in the air and the leaves have started to turn...
 
Apple Flapjacks, adapted from Cegin Bryn by Bryn Williams (and it's in his book 'Bryn's Kitchen' too. Yes, by the way, I do know that 'Cegin Bryn' is Welsh for 'Bryn's Kitchen'. I am in touch with my Welsh roots....)
 
Makes 12
 
Ingredients:
 
150g butter
50g light brown sugar
3 heaped tbsp. golden syrup
100g peeled apple, grated
220g porridge oats
 
 
Method:
 
Pre heat the oven to 160c
 
 
 
Melt the butter in a heavy bottomed saucepan. Add the sugar and the golden syrup.
 
 
Add the apple and the oats. Stir the mixture until evenly combined.
 
 
 
Place the mixture into a greased baking tray that has greaseproof paper in the base.  Mine was 12 by 30cm.
 
Spread the mixture evenly, then bake until golden, probably about 15 minutes but keep checking.
 
 
 
Take out of the oven and allow to cool. Whilst still warm, cut the flapjacks into squares or rectangles. Then leave to cool completely.
 
 
 

1 comment:

  1. I'm definitely in favour of low faff and ballast. Not at all bad for taking with you when wandering the Welsh hills and mountains either. Perfect for this time of year (although it was 20 degrees and sunny today, so I'm pretending that summer's still here).

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to drop by!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...