Lola and Finn's Mum

Lola and Finn's Mum

Monday 4 January 2016

The first post of 2016 and, I hope, not the last - Herbed Pork Loin with Prosciutto





So, my new year’s resolution is conveniently vague and is basically to try to ‘do stuff better’. This could encompass such aspects as eating better, trying harder to do the things I enjoy, more exercise, stop buying shoes… whatever. I think a general malaise has set in, due to modern life being, frankly, rubbish and whilst I don’t want to sound like a miserable old cow, one of the quotations that I learned for my German Literature A level examination, 23 years ago, was ‘fur die Tretmulle bestimmt’ from ‘Und Sagte kein einziges Wort’ by Heinrich Boll. This phrase kept coming back to me towards the end of 2015. Basically, destined for the treadmill. And I've gotta get off that treadmill.


So here is a blog post about a pretty yum, easy and satisfying meal that we actually sat round the table for, (and there we have another little, but crucial, activity that went by the by last year and needs to return: Eating together and having a bit of a conversation about ‘stuff’). In the spirit of trying to ‘get back’, I returned to the tried and tested brilliance of the Barefoot Contessa, who, no matter which dish I pick from one of her gloriously colourful and luscious books, the end result will make you look pretty adept.


This recipe is from her last book, ‘Make it Ahead’, which appeals to the organised person with not a lot of time and who wants to party on with her guests. I already have not a lot of time; now I just need to be organised and have a party.

Herbed Pork Tenderloin (with Apple Chutney which I did not make because I had some to use up) from 'Make it Ahead' by Ina Garten

My alterations/additions are in red

Ingredients:

I halved the recipe below - except for the prosciutto, of which I used 10 slices

2 pork tenderloins (also known as pork fillet) (2 1/2 to 3 pounds total)
1 tablespoon minced (chopped!) fresh rosemary leaves
1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme leaves
1/2 tbsp. (chopped) fresh sage
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
Good olive oil
10 to 12 slices prosciutto

 Apple Chutney
(I used apple sauce, left over from Christmas)


Method

Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.





Cut any sinew or excess fat from the pork loin and pat dry.





Chop the rosemary, the sage and the thyme then add ½ tsp of salt and ½ of ground black pepper to the herbs. Combine.


It’s probably easier to lay out the slices of prosciutto, overlapping each other, onto a baking tray, in preparation for laying the herbed loin onto it.





Coat the loin in a little olive oil and rub the herb and seasoning mixture all around it. Place it onto the prosciutto and pull the prosciutto over the loin, a bit like a blanket. Carefully turn the loin over so the prosciutto ends are tucked under the loin.





Place in the oven for about 25 minutes and then if you have a thermometer, check that the internal temperature is … I just cooked mine for 25 minutes and took a chance, to be honest. Pork loin is seriously chewy if you over cook it.




The Barefoot Contessa serves this with an apple chutney which, let’s face it, is a pretty fab idea. I used the last of the apple sauce with Calvados from Christmas which counteracted the saltiness of the prosciutto fabulously.



2 comments:

  1. I was beginning to think that you'd wandered off forever. I'm a big fan of pork fillet and I really should try wrapping it like this. I'd probably forget what it was for and eat the prosciutto for lunch. Glad to see you back - you're probably the only food blogger that I can think of who would quote Boll. (It's one of my many never-to-be-realised intentions to reread Group Portrait.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Boll (even without his umlaut, and I really should learn how to do the umlaut 'thing' on a keyboard) rocks. Thanks for noticing I was missing Phil. This year I intend to do more of all of this!

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to drop by!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...